Wednesday 17 August 2011

Rock'n'roll celebrities

 Rita Pavone at a juke-box Saturday night.
Jimmy Fontana & Rita in late 1962.
Gianni Morandi & Rita Pavone watch as Sergio Endrigo plays away...
it looks like Rita Pavone is only posing with the guitar while Morandi sings away... that's actually Sergio Endrigo's guitar.
Gianni & Rita...
Françoise Hardy shows Rita Pavone how much taller she is... Mamma just watches...
Françoise Hardy stoops to be kissed by Rita Pavone.
same restaurant, same day...
Pino Rucher played guitar on 'La partita di pallone', Amore twist', 'Che m'importa del mondo', 'Datemi un martello' and 'Viva la pappa col pomodoro'. He also played guitar for Nico Fidenco's 'Legata a un granello di sabbia', 'Goccia di mare', Mina's 'E se domani', Milva's 'Flamenco rock' and many others. 
Paul Anka, Rita Pavone, la Mamma & Teddy Reno meet in Paris, 1963.
Paul Anka, Rita Pavone, Shel Shapiro & Bobby from The Rokes in Paris.
pianist & song-writer Stelvio Cipriani & Rita.
Neil Sedaka being made-up while Rita ponders about her next number - 1964.

Little Peggy March's Italian album back-cover - 1964.
Rita & Peggy March.
Rita meets Barbra in 1964. 
Rita Pavone & Mina rehersal at RAI for a duet.
Shel Shapiro leader of The Rokes gets down on his knees...now it's Rita's turn to get down on her knees for Gianni Morandi's 'In ginocchio da te'.
Rita & Gianni Morandi on the set of 'Rita la zanzara' 1966.
Dino on top of Rita Pavone.
Rita in 1963. in a similar pose. 

7 comments:

  1. Nice pictures there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear Anonymous, thanks a lot for the visit and comment. It's a pity you have not left your name...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Toto!! While in the subject of Rita Pavone meeting with music celebrities, let's say she and I have another thing in common, in addition to the two of us having sat on my papa's knees (LOL), and that is that we never met our favourite music celebrity, at least not personally. Well, at least I had the great fortune to see him in concert, on November 10, 1971, in Boston to be exact. Would you care to guess who I am talking about? She and that singer, of couirse, did have another important thing in common and that was the music label which made them famous, in his case, worldwide...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me ellaborate on that moment. As the lights dimmed at the Boston Garden, I saw, three rows from where my girlfriend and I sat, the lonely figure of Sandro, an Argentinean singer quite popular during those days. At first, I doubted whether it was in fact him, standing anxiously on first row as he, like all of us, awaited for his idol to FINALLY appear. He looked shorter than I had imagined him to be. Anyways, I got so close to him that I actually extended my arm in a gesture of friendship, as if telling him I had recognized him. And then, just as he was in the process of shaking my hand, the sound of the chilling first note of an ouverture made me return to my seat. The most ackward moment in my many years of attending rock concerts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Entering from stage left, the singer I'm talking about took about 20 steps to reach the microphone, located at center stage but then, he surprised all of us by taking another 20 steps into the opposite side of the stage to show how magnifcient can a performer be, just by the apparel he's chosen to wear that night. Just to see him walk those 60 steps was worth three times price of admission. He had that quality, that confidence, that look on his face that told you he knew your expectation of him were going to be shattered. He was the only singer I've ever seen, who was only satisfied of his performance after making the entire audience happy, and not the other way around. Who was that singer?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi, dear Guillermo,

    the great singer you're talking about must be the one and only Elvis Presley! Amazingly enough I had just migrated to the USA in October 1971, one month before you saw Him in Boston. I had a bit of a hard time in the US (New Jersey) because I hardly spoke English then. I remember I ended up staying in San Francisco with a friend of mine, then came back to the tri-state area (NY-NJ) in the summer of 1972. I was broke (no money left) and ELVIS was going to sing at the Madison Square Garden. I was really naive to think I would see Elvis NEXT time... but there wasn't such a thing as a 'next time'.

    That's an interesting story in Boston... Yes, I know who Sandro was (he's dead now). It must have been the thrill of a lifetime having seen Elvis LIVE... I could kick myself in the back for having failed to do so when He was just across the Hudson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have another little story about my first few days in the USA in 1971 to tell you... I'll wait until you read this about Elvis at the Madison Square Garden though.

    ReplyDelete